Tuesday, September 8, 2015

On The Frying Pan

On The Frying Pan
plein air oil  10" x 8"
click here for Paypal
$195.00 + $10. s/h

Recently my husband and I were in Basalt, Colorado on the western slope for a fishing and painting trip.  It's a gorgeous 4 hour drive from Colorado Springs.  It's great that fishing and plein air painting go hand in hand.  So, while my husband was off fishing, I set up along the river bed to paint.

I've seen lots of great paintings of clear river water.  I think that it's a challenge to paint rivers, especially clear ones.  These rocks were so colorful that I wasn't sure if it would read that they're under water.  But, I told myself to just "paint what you see"  and painted away.

The Frying Pan River is a tributary of the Roaring Fork River...don't you just love these names?  According to local legend when a group of trappers were attacked by a band of Ute Indians, only two men survived, one of whom was injured.  Leaving his wounded friend in a cave close by, the last man left to get help.  He hung a frying pan in a tree so that he could find the cave again upon his return.





2 comments:

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Un titre très original au premier abord ! Merci pour la petite explication... J'aime beaucoup la spontanéité se votre geste et votre ressenti face à la rivière. Une belle avalanche de nuances de couleurs.

Gros bisous ♡

Pam Holnback said...

Merci Martine. Je pense qu'il est amusant à ajouter un peu de explanantion donc ceux qui ne connaissent, ou de loin comme vous, apprendre un peu sur les différents sites.