Friday, September 4, 2009

Ocean City


8" x 10" oil on canvas on board
SOLD

When I was back east in July, visiting my sister in New Jersey and taking a color study workshop in Philadelphia, I was lucky enough to get to spend 1 day at the Jersey shore. I was mesmerized by all the colors at the beach: water, sand, umbrellas, toys, chairs, bathing suits, towels, skin-tones. It was non-stop visual stimulus. I felt like I was looking at, and walking through, a real live color study class (of course, I'd just spent a week in a color study class.) Anyway, I took lots of photos and now have painted several pieces.

These ladies seemed so content just sitting by the water, enjoying the day. Everyone was enjoying that day. It was so entertaining to me how people sat right by the water. I guess you can see your kids better, or keep cooler. Being from Colorado, we don't have many beaches. A few here and there by a lake or reservoir. One time when our son was 3, he came home from spending the afternoon at our small local man-made lake and beach and excitedly told us that he'd had a great day at the ocean!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely! I really like the way you simplified the color shapes. Makes me want to goto the shore -I am going tomorrow to the Jersey shore to paint! Hurray!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Painted like a pro! I love beach chair scenes. I think I take them for granted here. You, with fresh eyes, nailed the essentials. Nice reflections in the wet sand!

Debra Keirce said...

Great painting! Ocean City, MD is a big vacation destination for us in Northern VA. I've still never been there, but I'd love to visit!

Pam Holnback said...

Natalie, Have fun painting. Can't wait to see the result!

Kelley, I have been to the shore before, but guess I forgot how great it is visually.

Deb, Thanks for visiting my site. Hope you get to the shore soon.