Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Monument Valley IV




6" x 6" oil on gessoed masonite
$100.00 + $10. s/h
please contact me if interested

Do you remember those tv commercials where the pick-up was sitting on top of the monolith?  You wondered how they got it up there.  I, with my fear of heights wondered how the driver could be up there!  Those commercials, and many movies were filmed at Monument Valley.  It's amazing when you see the rock formations from far away, and even more amazing when you get close-up.  

The pictures below show some of the petroglyphs in the back area of Monument Valley.  Some are protected with a fence, some you can drive right up to.











6 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Another gorgeous painting. Like the loose feeling and the colors your captured. See you next week!

Unknown said...

Wow. Its so great that you can go to so many beautiful places and share your views. Maybe you and Clinton could do a book, he could write about the geology, and you could paint it and photograph it! Or maybe a trip for geologists and landscape painters? A little different take on it. We'll sign up! We could invite Ken burns.....Have a great trip. Love, Nat

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam, enjoying the monument valley paintings. you have truly captured the expanse and colors!! continued happy paintings!

Pam Holnback said...

Thanks Debbi, So appreciate all of your comments. I'm looking forward to the workshop!

Natalie, How about a trip for painters who love geology!

Julie, Thanks. Put Monument Valley on your Bucket List. It is truly amazing!

Marian Fortunati said...

Very cool..
Good for you for painting on your trip!!! I never seem to be able to do it.
We went through Arches National Park two years ago and found the whole area just AMAZING. What a beautiful and vast and awe inspiring country we have!!

Pam Holnback said...

Marian, Thanks. Sometimes I paint when I travel, and sometimes I don't get the chance. But, I take my paints wherever I go and play it by ear. If i don't get the chance, I take lots of reference photos.