Sunday, September 30, 2018

Back Alley


Back Alley
plein air oil  12" x 9"
SOLD

Back Alley was the last painting from the recent South Park Plein Air Arts Celebration.  It was my "quick draw".  In many plein air events, the last morning is a quick painting.  In this event the paintings had to be done along Front Street, the main street in Fairplay, CO.  Or, in my case the Front Street alley also counted.

In a quick draw you have a limited time to paint....we had 2 hours, from 10 - 12.  Then, the paintings are turned in framed and at 1:00 an auction begins.  I've painted in the event for 5 years, and have scouted out the many locations along Front Street every year.  Front Street is about 7 blocks long.  I thought that I wanted to paint an alley scene.  When I saw the sun light on the buildings and trash can I knew I'd found my spot!  

The picture below was taken at 11:00, or halfway through the quick draw.  It's a fun event.  It makes you look, simplify the shapes, concentrate and paint!  The profits from the quick draw benefit the South Park Food Bank.


No comments: