Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Creamer

6 x 6 oil on canvas panel
$100.00 + $10. s/h
contact me if interested

This is the creamer from our daughter's teaset which was my mother-in-law's. I spent almost as much time setting this up as I did painting it. When I painted one of the teacups (2 weeks ago) I had it on an older green placemat. So, now I wanted it on a different, warmer, background. I thought of what our daughter played with it on...a garage sale plastic table covered in flowered contact paper. That wasn't quite the look that I wanted. I wondered what my mother-in-law would have set her teaset on in 1925. Probably a linen tablecloth or a wooden table or floor. I got out all the old linens, looked through them all, tried the creamer on several, decided I didn't want white on white, and didn't want to iron. I chose the wooden table. It was fun working with the reflection in the wood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the reflection. The way you used your brushwork to indicate the direction of the strokes in the reflection follows the from beautifully. I am painting a tea cup with reflections on the table top too. Its hard.