Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Role Call

11" x 14" oil on panel
$145.00 + $10. s/h
contact me if interested

This school house is in a very rural location on the road between Saguache and Center, Colorado. It's from a photo I took on our drive home from our trip to Durango to see our son last month. There are many abandoned barns, sheds, schools, ranches and odd assortment of buildings throughout the state. I'm sure that's true of all rural locations. But, I couldn't help but wonder who attended this school. There wasn't a town close by, there wasn't even a ranch too near. How did these kids get there? How long did it take them to get there? Even today, in some rural counties, children sit 1 hour on the bus each way to school. If your ranch is the first stop in the morning, and the last stop in the late afternoon, you have a long ride to school. Some counties only have school 4 days per week because of this.

I've mentioned this before, and I've read others mention it, too, but I sometimes have trouble when photographing reds. The school appears pinkish/red. When in reality I painted it orangish/ red. Any thoughts on how to solve this?

1 comment:

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Pam, I love the serenity of this painting. This is such a calm and soothing scene, almost lonely. I agree with your statement. Who went to school out there in the middle of nowhere?