Monday, November 1, 2010

The Lafayette Gallery and the deYoung Museum


Several of my days in San Francisco were spent with friend Nancy Hartley.  I met Nancy in September 2008 in Santa Fe in a Carol Marine workshop.  I saw her again in September 2009 when I was in California.  In January of 2010 we had a workshop reunion in Austin where most of us were able to get together and take a workshop from Laurel Daniel.  And, here we are again!  I went to the Lafayette Gallery to see Nancy's show: "Southwest Inspirations", drivebys of Highway 25 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.  Nancy's pieces are bold, geometric and colorful.  Check out her blog if you're not familiar with her work:  Nancy Hartleys Art Adventures.

The next day I met Nancy at the deYoung Museum to see the Post Impressionist show:  "Van Gogh Gauguin, Cezanne and Beyond".  It was a huge show with works from the Musee d'orsay, which is being remodeled.  How great that instead of storing the paintings they sent them to San Francisco. There were  a lot of Gauguins, Cezannes Seurats, Nabis (which I didn't know much about), Lautrecs.  One of my favorite pieces was Van Gogh's "Bedroom at Arles".  I had a puzzle of that as well as a poster on the wall in my classroom when I taught.  

Here we are outside of the museum.

6 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

How wonderful for you guys! Nancy's show looks GREAT! That must have been so fun! And the D'Orsay.... *sigh*... SO jealous! Thanks for sharing, Pam!

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

What FUN!!!!! Wish I could have joined you both. So glad you got to see Nancy's show. And the deYoung Museum show sounds wonderful. Love the van gogh quote on the window!! xoxo

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Pam, Thank you for posting these photos, and including me in your blog! Thank you for coming out my way! WE had two very fun days! Looking forward to your return trip! Would love to tour some more of the local museums and galleries with you, sometime soon!

Deborah Elmquist said...

I'm so jealous of the great works of art that come to your area. Seeing the impressionists of the late 1800's is like visiting God. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Deborah Elmquist said...

I'm so jealous of the great works of art that come to your area. Seeing the impressionists of the late 1800's is like visiting God. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Pam Holnback said...

Kelley, Thanks. It was great to spend time w/ her. And the show, an added bonus!

Thank you Debbi, It was fun. And how great for me that while there Nancy's show was up!

Nancy, You are welcome! I will definately let you know when I return!

Deborah, Thanks. It is so motivating to get to see great works1