Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Snow Light

Snow Light - Alaskan Plein Air #12/14
8" x 10" oil on canvas on board
SOLD

I love how the snow on the top of the mountain peaks creates its' own light.


I mentioned seeing whales.  We also saw sea lions.  Unfortunately, I saw this guy out of the corner of my eye when I was reeling in a salmon.


He was hungry, and it was his lunch time!  So, he helped himself to my salmon!  Really, this was 
pretty cool to see!  Sea lions have few predators:  orcas and man (only Natives.)


So, I started all over and he got my next salmon!  At this point I was a bit irritated.  
We planned to bring these salmon home!


Practice makes perfect.  I got several more!

I am pleased to announce that I have joined Daily Paintworks.  Please go to the site, click on All Artists,  and see all of the art!  It's great that their expansion allows so many of us this opportunity. 

8 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh boy! I think sea lions are magnificent! And this one sure was having a good time at your expense! LOL I also love the light that comes off of snow, so blue-y! Interesting to see the snow and grass next to each other. I love it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dean H. said...

Love your painting, Pam!
Wow!...What a one of a kind experience...salmon fishing and sea lions!!
That's a great catch you made. Wish I were there.

Pam Holnback said...

Sherry, thank you so much! I didn't realize quite how large sea lions are! Kind of halfway between a walrus and a seal!

Natalie, Thanks. But, DPW is now open to all artists, not just a select few. You should apply!

Thank you Dean. It was probably a once in a life time experience! Wish you'd come, too!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Pam, I love this series! Rally beautiful! It would be great to see all of the Alaska paintings arranged in a group!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I love that light glancing off the top of the mountain, Pam. It looks like you are having the time of your life!

Amy Hillenbrand said...

Pam this painting is one of your best, absolutely gorgeous. what a great experience you are having. It is so nice of you to feed that sea lion, but it looks like you caught quite a keeper for yourself.

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you Nancy. That's such a great idea. I'll try to figure out a spot that I can look down on and shoot a picture of all of them.

Claire, thank you! I have to admit that this trip is a dream for my husband, but I truly had such a great time!

Thanks so much Amy. I really liked this one! So appreciate you noticing my generosity!