Sunday, September 18, 2011

Mild Things

Mild Things
6" x 6" Oil
$100.00 + $10. s/h

Yesterday was the Fall Art Fair at Summerland Gardens.  It was a beautiful day, partly cloudy, but luckily no rain.  Summerland Gardens has been roasting and selling chiles from Hatch, New Mexico for the last few weeks.  Regularly, a truck drives up from Hatch to deliver the chiles and everyday they sell as many as they roast.


There were bushels of chiles, mild, medium and hot, just waiting to be roasted.  I set-up and painted this one in the afternoon.


I couldn't resist!  Smelling the roasting all day, I bought half a bushel...the exact ones roasting in this photo!  I confess, I bought milds!  Which ones would you have bought?

10 comments:

Autumn Leaves said...

Never had a roasted chile before. Or smelled them, though I admit I wish I could now! I'd have bought mild had I a mind to buy chiles though. Love the gorgeous blends of red and green in this painting, Pam!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

What a skillful rendering of that pepper, and the lovely background! Pam, what the heck do you DO with all those chili's?

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

Beautiful painting, Pam! Your colors are fabulous!!! Love that purple shadow.

Pam Holnback said...

Sherry, thank you. Roasted chiles are definately a sw thing! And, you would have bought some if you'd been near them all day like I was! The smell was so great!

Thank you Kelley! I think that I should create a post around what I'm cooking with these chiles!!

Carrie, Thank you so much. I set one of the peppers on a paper towel. The colors you see in white vary so!

Marian Fortunati said...

LOVE those colors, Pam...

Regarding roasted chiles... My husband uses a blowtorch... (He loves roasted peppers!!)

Kathy Cousart said...

Wonderful reds and greens that are just gorgeous together. I would have bought mild- but not that many! You made me smile!

Anonymous said...

A fab composition Pam..so well rendered too!

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you Marian. OMG...a blow torch! Whatever works!

Kathy, thank you. I know, I got a little carried away! They were cheaper by the bushel or half bushel!

Thank you so much Julie!

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

I could almost smell those chiles roasting from that gorgeous painting. The touches of purple add to the richness of your image. Love it!

Bises,
Genie

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you so much Genie!