Saturday, June 21, 2014

A Whiter Shade Of Pale

A Whiter Shade Of Pale
Oil  8" x 6"
$100.00 + $10. s/h
SOLD
I love the warmth when painting in the late afternoon.  But, I love the challenge of painting the cool morning whites.  This was one of the last iris in our back yard.  We have fewer white iris than yellow and violet and only a few of them bloomed this year.  Maybe they're getting too much shade.  I'll think about dividing and moving some in the fall.

Whites are always a fun challenge, whether cool or warm.  For Christmas our son gave me a book called Roy G. Biv by Jude Stewart.  Many kids learned the color this way:  red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.  I didn't teach it that way, I used the 3 primaries and 3 secondaries.  Nevertheless, it's a great title for "an exceedingly surprising book about color."  I just read the chapter on white.  It says that Benjamin Moore has 140 shades of white paint!  I also learned that Queen Victoria popularized white for wedding dresses, and that the Latvian song for happy birthdays is  "Have Many White Days."

2 comments:

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Pam, love the green and white color combo! Just striking! Such beautiful work!

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you so much Nancy! I have loved your friendship and words over the painting years!