Friday, June 13, 2014

Morning at Red Rock Canyon


Morning At Red Rock Canyon
Oil on canvas on board  8" x 10"
$195.00 + $10. s/h

Last week several friends and I painted in Red Rock Canyon Open Space with PAAC (Plein Air Artists of Colorado).  It was an overcast morning and the light and clouds were constantly changing.  Something to always be aware of is not to chase the light.  So, the clouds created a strong shadow over the mid-mountains.  I blocked that in first.  The rocks in the front were in strong sun.  So I painted them bright and left them.  I painted in the back range, clouds, and sky last.  They seemed to be the supporting cast.

Once again I'm not quite getting the correct blues when I upload my painting pictures onto my blog.  The blues in the back range are just a bit grayer than in this photo.  Still working on this.


Two of the others painting.




Three photos showing the changing light. 

3 comments:

Jenny said...

That's gorgeous, Pam. I like how you made the red rocks so much redder. xo Jenny

Catherine Jeffrey said...

Beautiful...almost abstract. Love the colors.

Dean H. said...

Yes...broken light can be an enormous problem. You handled the challenge very well, Pam!
Gorgeous painting!