Saturday, October 24, 2015

Tidal Wetlands

Tidal Wetlands
plein air oil  6" x 12"
click here for Paypal
$195.00 + $10. s/h


Late this past summer I was in New Jersey visiting my sisters.  My sister, Natalie Italiano, is also a painter, so our visits together always include painting.  This piece is from the tidal wetlands in Brigantine, NJ near Atlantic City.

I had never heard of these wetlands.  I loved the soft look of the grasses contrasted against the water and sky, sometimes blue, gray or pink depending on the weather and time of day.  As I often do when posting on my blog I googled these wetlands.  Here is some of the information:  The Brigantine Bay and marsh complex includes the open water and tidal wetlands of, from north to south: Little Bay, Reed Bay, Somers Bay, Absecon Bay and Channel, Lakes Bay, and Scull Bay between the mainland coast of New Jersey and the barrier islands from Little Egg Inlet southwest to Great Egg Harbor Inlet.  This portion of the New Jersey backbarrier lagoon estuarine system is very significant for migrating and wintering waterfowl, colonial nesting waterbirds, migratory shorebirds, and fisheries.


Below are some photos, from 2 separate days,  from the marsh.  We painted from a bird watching tower so had a great view looking down into the marsh.





4 comments:

hmuxo said...

These wetlands are painted beautifully Pam!! I love those blues!!!! It's so wonderful that you and your sister are both painters...so much to talk about!!!
My sister loves to see art but doesn't like to paint!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful painting! Some of my ancestors lived near Great Egg Harbor in the early 1800's. It's nice to see a view of their neighborhood.

Unknown said...

Beautiful painting! Some of my ancestors lived near Great Egg Harbor in the early 1800's. It's nice to see a view of their neighborhood.

Pam Holnback said...

Hilda, Thank you! You're right, Natalie and I are lucky to have each other! Still you and your sister can go to museums together.

Thanks so much Allen. If you don't turn your head and look at the skyline of Atlantic city it is really beautiful!