Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Mountain Pond

Mountain Pond
plein air oil  12" x 12"
SOLD


This painting was done at the Beaver Ponds Environmental Education Center just outside of Fairplay, CO during the South Park Plein Air Arts Celebration earlier this month.  This was the 6th and last painting done during the main 3 days of the event.  One of the great things about this plein air event is that the town of Fairplay organizes locations to paint.  I'd never been to the Center, nor did I know about it.  It was very interesting.  Of course, beaver ponds, but trails in the woods, a river, lots of aspen trees.  Upon first arriving I decided to walk the circular trail to find a spot to paint.  I saw very large hoof prints in the mud.  I am very familiar with elk prints, these were so much bigger, I knew they must be a moose.  The Center owner said that they frequently have a moose family near by.


After just a short while the shade around my easel disappeared and I was too lazy to walk back to my car to get my umbrella.  You want your canvas and palette to be in the shade, so I propped another canvas up to help a bit.

Friday evening is the Event Show in the bank lobby (there's only 1 bank in town.)  Every day at 4 pm we turned in 2 framed paintings from that day.  Each day at dinner one painting received a "Painting Of The Day" Award.  The awards for the 3 day event were given out on Friday night at the reception.


I was thrilled that "Mountain Pond" received an Honorable Mention!  And I was also so pleased that the painting sold!

No comments: