Friday, May 12, 2017

From The Roof





From The Roof
watercolor  6" x 6"
please contact me if interested

This watercolor was painted from the rooftop of our hotel in Quito.  I took a small set of watercolors, as well as gouache, with me to Ecuador.  I only did a few watercolors, and in retrospect, maybe I didn't need to take both, but the watercolor set was very small and easy to tuck in.  

Because the elevation of Colorado Springs is 6,000 feet, it wasn't as challenging for us to acclimatize to the high altitude of Quito (8,000 feet) as for other travelers.  For that I was grateful as I know altitude sickness is not fun.  

Quito is the capital and 2nd largest city in Ecuador with a population of about 2.5 million.  It is surrounded by volcanos and sits on the eastern slopes of Pichincha, an active stratovolcano.   Quito has one of the largest, least altered and best-preserved historic colonial centers in the Americas.  Quito, and Krakow, Poland were the first World Cultural Heritage Sites declared by 
UNESCO in 1978.


Views from one volcano top across Quito and the valley to several other volcanos.


The Cathedral and colonial center of Quito

2 comments:

essay best said...

Lovely pictures you have shared! I liked the seond painting that you have displayed. The first one is not very refined and it still needs improvement. What is the price of second painting?

Pam Holnback said...

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Because these are just sketches, they aren't quite finished pieces.