Saturday, January 3, 2009

Naples Yellow Clouds

6" x 8" oil on masonite
$100.00 + $10. s/h
contact me if interested

Our daughter, Coley, and I just went to the Ernest L. Blumenschein exhibit at the
Denver Art Museum. Blumenschein was a founding member of the Taos Society of Artists and a renowned painter of 19th and 20th century western art. The exhibit was amazing. I couldn't stop looking at Blumenschein's clouds. Especially since I've recently been painting a cloud series. Coley commented that his clouds were so creamy. My clouds are bold, strong, bright, warm, cool, yellow ochre, but not creamy. Artist Martha Mans and I were discussing how he got his creamy clouds. She suggested Naples Yellow; it's a traditional yellow and probably part of his palette. So, I have a tube from a past workshop and painted these clouds with Naples Yellow.

2 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I think Naples is a good choice for 'cloud yellow'. The cadmiums are so vibrant - even really bright yellow in a cloud is really not soooo, so bright. I love your descriptions of your thought process.

Hey... did you know that Andreeva has MOVED to Texas?

Nancy B. Hartley said...

I can sure see the creamy color. The naples yellow did the trick.
A very breautiful sky and painting!