6" x 6" Oil
$80.00 + $10. s/h
HOLIDAY SALE All paintings sold in December are 20% off my regular prices.
I love the tradition of poinsettia plants around the holidays. They add such color to the house. Some interesting facts about poinsettias, complements of Wikipedia:
- Poinsettias are native to Mexico.
- The Aztecs called the poinsettia Cuetlaxochitl. They made a reddish purple dye from the bracts.
- Chile and Peru called the poinsettia the "Crown of the Andes."
- Poinsettias are part of the Euphorbiaceae family. Many plants in this family ooze a milky sap.
- Some people may have skin irritation from the milky sap
- In nature, poinsettias are perennial flowering shrubs that can grow to ten feet tall.
- The showy colored parts of poinsettias that most people think are the flowers are actually colored bracts (modified leaves).
- Poinsettias are priced according to the number of blooms. The more blooms, the more expensive the plant.
- The flowers or cyathia of the poinsettia are in the center of the colorful bracts.
I might re-photo this. There's more contrast in the reds than shows here.