Friday, June 11, 2010

100 Garden & Floral Oil Paintings, Original Art Work from A Colorado Daily Painter, 24/100


Orange Sprig
5" x 7" oil on board
$100.00 + $10. s/h

I've decided I need to use Thalo Blue.  It's not in my usual palette, although it sits in my paint box.  I can get all the colors I want for my landscapes with out using it, so because it's so strong, I avoid it.  These sprigs were in our yard, and since they're a complement of blue, I thought they'd be great to use in a Thalo Blue study.  I added Cad Red Light to gray the Blue, but don't think I used enough.  I'll try again.

8 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

I was immediately struck by the vibrancy of this painting and I think it's due to the power of the complimentary colors and the thalo. Personally I think thalo, in small doses, works magic. Great job.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I definitely think you used enough! It really works - not overpowering at all!

Kim Blair said...

Wonderful use of complimentary colours! It looks like these flower might be a snapdragon?
Kim

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Pam, another winner! This painting defines the word glowing! Just beautiful!

Marie Theron said...

Pam, you really needed the thalo blue here. It brings so much light and into the painting and contrasts with the orange flowers!

Joanne Hanson said...

I am loving this series Pam!

Unknown said...

I agree with Kelley. I think you struck the right cord with the greyed blue. Phtalo is tricky to use but you handled it well.

Autumn Leaves said...

I think this is beautiful, Pam...A moment in time as the evening light comes...