Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cowboy Coffee

Cowboy Coffee
10" x 8"  Oil
Temporarily on hold...However, please contact me if interested

I have not been up to posting or painting this week.  What with the devastating fires here in Colorado Springs, my mind has been elsewhere.  I find the constant smoke bothersome, my eyes hurt, we're told to keep our doors and windows shut, the record breaking heat has been hard.  However, I am so grateful that we are safe and that no lives have been lost in the fire.  My heart goes out to all those who have lost their homes.  It's been a sad, tragic, awful 6 days.  The fire is not expected to be fully contained until mid-July.


This is another painting I did while at the Medano-Zapata Ranch.  The pot was sitting on the hearth in the dining room, so I set it up outside in the sun.  I wondered how many cups of coffee have been poured for all the generations of ranchers and cowboys.  Who knows, between this and the European Coffee Maker I posted last month from Venice I might search for other coffee pots and start a coffee series.

13 comments:

hmuxo said...

First of all, I'm so happy that you are safe and hopefully these awful fires will be contained soon. Everyday we hear about it but to live close to it..must be so frightening. Please know that you and your family are in our thoughts.

I hope you make a series from these coffee pots..this one is beautifully painted!!! Take care!!

Theresa Paden said...

So sorry about the fires, but like you said, at least no one has been hurt. I love this painting and am looking forward to more coffee pots!

Melanie Thompson said...

Really beautiful work Pam, the colors are wonderful!

I used to work as a wildland firefighter here in the Pac NW. I saw some awe-inspiring and adrenaline pumping scenes, but I never saw any fires like this one, ripping through subdivisions. It's absolutely heartbreaking, do stay safe. We're keeping you, your family, and your state in our thoughts.

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you Cathyann. It truly is horrible.

Hilda, thanks so much. We are safe. And, I may do that series.

Thanks so much Theresa. The bottom line is always life.

Melanie, Thank you. I can't imagine working as a firefighter. Too scarey for me. The wind and fires together certainly was awful.

Celeste Bergin said...

The fire is heartbreaking...I am glad you are all right! Great idea to paint a coffee series. I think coffee is great, myself!

Autumn Leaves said...

I love this piece, Pam. I can picture this pot sitting in a fire pit 100+ years ago.

I am so sorry to hear of the fires plaguing Colorado. I hope and pray that they are contained sooner rather than later.

Kathy Collins said...

The colors you have put in this pot are beautiful...subtle and suggested. Great job. Glad you are safe.

Lorraine Shirkus said...

Really nice, Pam! I saw its thumbnail in the Daily Paintworks email and it stood right out. I hear the reports on the fire for days on end and can't believe it's still burning—so heartbreaking. I'm glad you're safe and that there are no deaths.

Douglas Clark said...

I hope that the fires will be under control soon. We had so many hear in Texas. Just devastating to those affected. My prayers are with the people of your state, and so glad your home is not affected.

Happy Little Trees Studio said...

Love the painting and hang in there with the fires. I'll say a prayer for you guys. This is so terrible!

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you Celeste. We had dinner on the deck outside last night!!

Sherry, Thank yo so much. You're like me...we add visualization to the subject.

Thanks so much Kathy. There's always so much more color in an object than we first see.

Lorraine, Thank you. While the fire is out is the neighborhoods, the don't expect to have it out in the national forest until mid-july.

Thank you Douglas. I remember how badly texas was last summer, similar heat and fire to what we have this year.

Thanks so much Kimberly.

ashok said...

amazing talent

Ingrid Ormestad said...

I love your coffee pot! I paint in watercolour but my husband bought me oils last Christmas. I keep looking at them but thats as far as I get. Your little pot inspires me! :)