Saturday, June 16, 2012

Old Homestead Barn

Old Homestead Barn
6" x 8"  Oil
$100.00 + $10. s/h

The Medano Zapata Ranch has several old living areas (for want of a better description) spread across the 103,000 acres.  We were given access to the entire ranch for painting and photo access.  One of the areas was a former ranch (the Medano and Zapata were two ranches at one time).  This old barn sits out behind the now abandoned, deteriorating Medano Ranch.   It must have once been a very bustling ranch as there were many out buildings, bunk houses, corrals, barns, large house, sheds.  I thought it would be so great refurbished and rented to vacationers.  But, as it's a National Historic Site the expense of repairing that to it's former glory would probably be quite large.   So, I sat there imagining all that must have gone on over the decades in that corner of Colorado.

When I was out there painting in the sun and heat in the shade of my car and umbrella this barn looked bright red, I could see what it must have been like years ago.  Sitting here in my studio posting the painting, it looks a bit bright.  Maybe I should go back and age it a bit.




6 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

As usual, Pam, your description and paintings are educational aside from being beautiful! I don't think you need to adjust the color - I mean, take a photo if you want the exact exact... this is an artist's interpretation, and I like it just the way it is!

hmuxo said...

I agree with Kelley! Its your painting and the color is very typical of the old barns....this barn is painted beautifully, Pam!!

Marian Fortunati said...

Sounds like you had a great outing!!!
Such fun out painting great places like that!

Autumn Leaves said...

It is beautiful as it is, Pam. I like thinking about who might have lived there, what their daily lives were like.

Pam Holnback said...

Kelley, thank you. You're right!! It's my interpretation.

thank you Hilda. It was typical, so many of our old barns were log. I'll have to paint one of those.

Marian. Thanks so much. It was fun!

Thanks so much Sherry.

Amy Hillenbrand said...

Pam, I like what you've done with the place, lol. Really I love how you depicted the roof. It makes me sad to see things in decay and I too think of what they were in their heyday.