Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Balcony In Barga


Balcony In Barga
28 of 30
Oil 11" x 14"
$345.00 + $10.00 s/h

This is now completed.  I knew that the shadows didn't work together, and that they were too dark and cool for such a hot, sunny day.  Again, one of the problems when painting from a photo.  I made the shadows all in the same color key, but with different values.  It now works much better, although the shadows here are a little more lavender than the ones in the actual painting.  They're a bit more earthy red from the terra rosa in the mix.  I still am not getting completely accurate colors with my new camera, but I'll get that, too.  

Barga is a town in northern Tuscany that we visited last May.  It is so far north in Tuscany that it's practically in the Alps, maybe just outside of Tuscany.  It was picturesque, built on the side of a steep hill, beautiful, uncrowded and a wonderful place to visit.  We stayed in a large, older home that had been the owner's grandmother's.  I think we found it on VRBO or B&B.com.  We had the whole upstairs to ourselves, the owner and her mother lived on the first floor.  Every morning we'd go downstairs to an amazing breakfast made just for us! 

6 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Lovely!! Love your portal series - doors and windows. This one makes me really want to go to Italy!!!!

Autumn Leaves said...

It is a beautiful spot and one I'd also have chosen for a composition. With the shadow colors under the eaves matching those on the wall, I think it works marvelously!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

You solved your problem beautifully, Pam. I admire the way you could analyze and know something was just not quite right... And then work it out.
Lovey painting!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Pam, this is just lovely! I love the shadows, especially! This is all just perfect!!

Pam Holnback said...

Debbi, Thank you. You guys would love Italy!

Thank you Sherry. It does work now. Just took me a bit to figure out.

Julie, Thanks so much. The not quite right is often easier than working it out.

Thank you so much Nancy.

c.dingman said...

Love your color studies. Thanks for sharing. Also love how you use it in your artwork.