Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Feather Canyons

9 x 12 oil on canvas panel
$100.00 + $10. s/h
contact me if interested

Last week I saw a Maynard Dixon video purchased at the Tuscon Museum of Art where his work is on exhibit. I had always thought of him as a western painter and the man who designed so many covers for Sunset Magazine decades ago. I had not realized what a great illustrator he was. And, I didn't know that Dorothea Lange was his second wife. A poster of her famous photogragh, Migrant Mother, hung in my classroom for years.
His bold, simplified, marching clouds are what always drew me to his landscapes. His paintings often had low horizons and cloud formations that may look unreal to the person who has never seen a western sky.

3 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

This is gorgeous! You are so inspiring.

conor said...

Oh, yeah - I love nothing better than a 'skyscape'! Nicely done, girl!

conor said...

Oh, yes, 'Conor' is me, Kelley, on my son's computer... oooops!