Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Flanders Field

6 x 6 oil on canvas panel



When I was in 5th grade, I had to memorize Flanders Field. I don't remember what we were studying, or why we had to memorize this poem. But, to this day, I have a visual image of the graveyard with poppies growing randomly and haphazardly; unlike the perfect rows and rows of crosses.
We have three areas of poppies in our gardens. They grow well and easily in Colorado; not all flowers do well at this altitude (6,000 feet here in Colorado Springs.) I love painting them, and have done so dozens of times. I just wish their blooming season was a little bit longer.

1 comment:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

OMG
I was in 2nd grade and we had to memorize Flanders Fields for Memorial Day and recite it outside by the flagpole, with our parents present. A very small group at that place in time.
Each of us had to say one line. I think mine was 'that mark our place'. To this day I can recite almost the entire poem. It really made an impact on me and I associate poppies, which are so dramatically beautiful, with Flanders Fields. Nice job with the poppies.