Sunday, December 13, 2009

Canyonlands IV


6" x 8" oil on panel
$75.00 + $10. s/h
SOLD

This is from our second day at Canyonlands National Park. We were in an area where you walked along the edge of this cliff. For those of you who know me well, you know I have a fear of heights. I had to really breath deeply, walk slowly, look across and not down, to conquer my phobia. I will admit, that where I stopped here, there was a guard rail!

When landscape painting, the lightest value is usually that of the sky. The second lightest value is the flat plane of the ground....except the ground at the bottom of a canyon appears to have a darker value than the horizontal plane near the top of a canyon. These canyon pieces have gotten me thinking about all the values in a landscape. I even got out my Carlson's guide to see if he talked about canyons.

2 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

What a vista! Yeah, I'd be at the guardrail, too! And my husband would be OVER the guardrail, at the very edge, leaning out to get a good look!

You know I've seen times where the planes are not at all where they 'should' be in terms of relative light - it's a good guide, and works on flat inland areas. With water, canyons... all bets are off, I think!

Pam Holnback said...

Kelley, On another trail at a different park, I actually had to turn around. I just couldn't bring myself to climb down a ladder made of tree branches off the side of a cliff!