Saturday, May 16, 2015

Yucatan Church

Yucatan Church
Oil  12" x 12" on cradled panel
click here for Paypal
$295.00 + $10. s/h

This past February my husband and I spent several weeks in the Yucatan.  I did some plein air paintings as well as studio pieces upon our return.  When editing my photos I realized that I had taken pictures of 36 different churches and chapels.  I guess I'm drawn to the architectural angles, and perhaps the significance of what these mean to the people who built them and worship in them.

From Merida, the capital of the state of Yucatan, in the northwest you can drive diagonally across the state headed toward the southeast on a great highway.  Along the way you can drive the "Convent Route".  This consists of churches, cathedrals, convents in Mayan villages and towns.  Many are as large as the largest Catholic Church here in Colorado Springs, yet are sitting a a very small town.  They were built centuries ago in what I imagine were large(r) populated areas or colonial towns.  You can read more about this here.

I was fascinated by all of these.  We visited the first seven, then our rental car got hit (no injuries and very little damage, but stressful never the less.)  So, we skipped the last villages.

3 comments:

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Love this, Pam!

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you Nancy!

hmuxo said...

This is wonderful Pam and maybe a future series?
Sounds like you had a good time except for your accident. Glad you weren't hurt! That would have definitely put a halt on the rest of the vacation!