Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Near Chama (made better)

6 x 8 oil on masonite
$100.00 + $10. s/h
contact me if interested


My last posting was this same painting. But, I kept looking at it and realized that there were several things that needed to be changed. The snow on the shadow bank was too bright and drew the viewer to the back of the painting. While it's fine to look back there, the artist has to create a way for the viewer to keep moving around the painting. This wasn't happening; the too bright snow just made your eyes stop. So, the snow bank is darker and grayer. Also, the side banks were angled down too far. While they must have been that way, (I'm sure I couldn't have painted anything incorrectly!) the river didn't read as flat. It appeared to be going up. So, I made the banks a little more horizontal. And, from my view there was a triangular patch of snow and bank in the bottom right hand corner, I painted it out.

Sometimes we just don't see everything. And, it's ok to go back and make things better. Sounds like what I told our kids when they were little.

No comments: