Thursday, April 2, 2009

Patzcuaro Strutters

SOLD
6" x 8" oil on canvas panel
$100.00 + $10. s/h
contact me if interested


The colors of this rooster caught my eye. Although the reds appear redder in this photo and are more orange in my painting. Off and on my camera, (or computer, not sure which) changes the reds. I have no idea how many varieties of roosters and chickens exist; must be dozens. But, once again, this couple was strutting around near the outdoor restaurant where we were enjoying lunch. The chicken must be named Tammy, for she stood by her man.

The ground around these two was all the same value, no strong shadows, so squinting helped with the actual colors for the earth. I don't always use lots of pthalo blue, it's so strong. When I want a really dark blue, or almost black, I mix ultramarine, sap green, and alizaron. But this rooster shouted pthalo blue; so I used it to mix. I'd forgotten how strong it was, and when softening my edges, the ground was constantly becoming bluer. I'll remember next time!

3 comments:

Karen Bruson said...

Pam, Great colors and brushwork. I love it.

Karen Bruson said...

Pam, Thank you for your comment on my Cote d'Azur painting. It was in Cannes, France. I did a painting workshop with Stan Moeller right outside of Cannes.

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Pam, I love your rooster paintings! I've heard that chickens and roosters are a very popular subject matter and sell very well! This is in California, not sure if it applies to Colorado, who knows!