Monday, September 28, 2009

Spinney Mist


8" x 10" oil on panel
$100.00 + $10. s/h
contact me if interested

We spent the last several days up in the mountains. The weather was beautiful this weekend; last weeks cold and snow disappeared. Once again we were at Spinney Reservoir. While my husband was out fishing, I was painting. Because of the mist over the peaks, this was a fun piece to paint. Like often happens when plein-aire painting, the late afternoon light changed so quickly.


This photo was taken when I was finished painting. At this point the light had changed dramatically. The reservoir was much lighter, the mist had increased and the mountains in the background had completely disappeared. The challenge is always sticking with the light as it was at the start, or changing the values in the piece. I think I do both, depending on my mood at the time and how the color and value look to me.

3 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Hi Pam, I love how the background recedes gently in this painting. Beautiful Spinney Mist!

Pam Holnback said...

Thanks Janelle, The far mountains kept getting mistier and mistier until they had completely receded!

Chuck Dilmore said...

Ooo, love this!
beautiful job!

peace~
Chuck