Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mow, Mow, Mow Your Goat


6" x 6' oil on panel
$75.00 + $10. s/h
please contact me if interested

Each year 500 goats are brought in to Bear Creek Park from Wyoming to eat noxious weeds, especially California thistle. Goats have a stomach system that easily digests thistles. A temporary fence is put up, 2 sheep dogs herd and watch the goats, people are entertained. The weeds disappear, the ground is turned over by hooves, natural fertilizer is spread, and no chemicals are used. A great situation for all!

I wiped out this piece 2 times before I started painting, because it looked so silly. Finally I decided it wasn't my drawing skills, but the goats themselves that are silly looking. Their mouths turn up, they appear to be constantly smiling, even while they're chewing. They're always happy looking.


This is a small portion of the herd. I did not think up this clever title; I have to give credit to the local newspaper.

4 comments:

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Pam, your animal paintings are wonderful. I love the soft, slighty hazy painting style, beautiful! They use goats around here in the same way. I think that is a great idea.

Pam Holnback said...

Thanks Nancy, Animals are a constant part of the "landscape"
around here.

Anonymous said...

I emailed this to my parents who keep goats. It' really very lovely~!

Beto Amorim said...

Well Pam... well done!Nice work! I use to paint watercolour, so today, I need to paint more and more. Now I'm working with digital ilustration, take a look in my blog too. http://mundodebettum.blogspot.com/