Friday, January 8, 2010

Deep Shadows


12" x 16" oil on stretched canvas
$395.00 + $10. s/h
please contact me if interested

I was drawn to the deep shadow that spread across the canyon bottom and the back of the valley.  Additionally, I thought about the cool, not quite melted snow on the shadowy side and the warm, sunny rocks and tips of the scrubby plants  in the light.  This piece gave me lots of landscape challenges: warms and cools, grays and earth tones, sun and shadow.

I tend to push my colors and really tried to stick with realistic notes in this piece.  As Kevin Macpherson says, I tried to "See it, mix it, put it down.  Be decisive."

7 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Stunning! Love the direct advice too!

Unknown said...

Really nice. I like the "realistic" color.

Dean H. said...

Love it, Pam! Those great colors win my vote!!! Also love Kevin's advice.

Celeste Bergin said...

excellent natural colors...beautiful..the sage in the foreground especially caught my eye. An excellent painting that describes the place very well.

Pam Holnback said...

So, it seems we all seem to agree that Kevin Macpherson has great advise. And, the realistic colors of Utah are just fine w/out artistic license.l

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Love, the dramatic lighting! Beautiful shadows, and highlights.

Caio Fern said...

Beautiful way to build a landscape Pam !!
i love your eye for colors !!