Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hula Hibiscus

Hula Hibiscus
6" x 6"  Oil
$100.00 + $10. s/h

I loved the way the light was in the front of the hibiscus and I was in the back.  I think that the brushstrokes and shape make this flower look likes it's hula dancing!  

I was amazed at the variety of trees in Maui.  This bamboo forest is in Haleakala National Park.  This part of the 2 mile hike up to the Wailua Waterfalls was almost surreal.  The bamboo was swaying in the breeze, causing the trunks to hit together creating quiet, but eerie rattles.  It was like a percussion section.

I think that this is a mangrove tree (you botanists can correct me.)  We certainly don't have
 trees like this in Colorado!

These are Painted Eucalyptus trees which grow along the Hana Highway.  I thought the 
name was so appropriate, as the bark really looks painted!




9 comments:

Steven W. Dunn said...

Hi Pam
The light you have captured here is beautiful and yes, the "dance" (hula) is very evident in your creation.
The trees in your photograph with the "painted" bark are so interesting-would really enjoy being there to interpret them in my own painting.
Steven

Autumn Leaves said...

I love how you've painted the light through the petals, Pam. Beautifully done!

Dean H. said...

Love the coloration that is shown in the lower key part of your flower, Pam!

Thanks for the interesting photos.

hmuxo said...

Such a beautiful flower, Pam..I love the softness of it. Love your pictures as well...thank you for sharing them...I love bamboo! I wanted to plant them around my pond ..my husband didn't want them since they grow quite fast!!! I guess my neighbors wouldn't like it either..LOL

Pam Holnback said...

Steven, Thank you. You do so many great tree paintings, I can see that you'd love seeing these! I made my husband pull over on a narrow road just to get these pictures!

Thank you Sherry. I love it when I'm out there and the light is there with me. Sort of a Jedi moment.

Dean, Thanks so much. I love sharing the photos.

Thanks so much Hilda. You should be glad that you didn't plant the bamboo. It is so invasive!

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

There is so much light and movement in this beautiful little painting, Pam - love it!

Karen Bruson said...

Beautiful!

Shirley Fachilla said...

Wonderful color and light. The petals have that fragile, delicate look of the hibicus.

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you Claire! Between the sea breeze and tropical light, there was lots of light and movement in hawaii!

Karen, Thank you so much!

Thank you Shirley. Fragile is such a great word for hibicus!