Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Up Your Alley

Up Your Alley
plein air oil  12" x 9"
click here for Paypal
$295.00 + $10. s/h

This alley is the 5th painting from the South Park Plein Air Arts Celebration in Fairplay, CO earlier this month.  I had also spotted this location when I was scouting on the first evening in town.  I loved the shadows in the alley and the bits of light on the rickety, old fence.  The wobbly, old out buildings created fun shapes & shadows.

Again, a little bit of artistic license was used.  I found the leaves of the trees to the left of the buildings in the back yard a bit distracting.  I preferred the simplicity of the mountains as a back ground.  It created one more interesting shape instead of a mess of leaves.  I often do a pencil sketch before beginning a painting.  This helps me plan the composition.  It was as I was scribbling in the leaves in the sketch that I knew they would be distracting.


No comments: