Thursday, October 24, 2019

Paint the Town--Day 2


Last week I painted in the "Paint The Town" Plein Air Event in Florence, CO.  Florence is about 35 miles south of Colorado Springs.  It is most known for its' antique stores and multiple prisons:  both state and federal (Super Max serial killers live their lives out here.)

Anyway, in my life it is also where I paint in the annual event.  The week was very windy and made painting challenging.  My painting from Day 1 was my least favorite of the 5 I painted in my 3 days down there.  Artists submit 4 framed pieces at the end of the week.  Day 1 barn didn't make the cut, and I have since wiped it out.  Day 1 afternoon was too windy to paint.

Day 2 I was drawn to the light and angles of the Perlite Factory (the small, white granules found in gardening soil).  I set up on the edge of the parking lot and painted away.  You can see that by the time I finished the painting there were no longer any window shadows on the building walls.  I do a sketch before I start painting and stick to the darks and lights of the sketch.



I was pretty pleased with how the windows turned out.  I lightened the shadows on the window panes on the right just a bit to show the rusted metal and called it done!

No comments: