Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Fresh Bales -- Day 3, Painting 2 South Park Plein Air Arts Celebration


Loafing Shed
Day 3, Afternoon painting South Park Plein Air Arts Celebration, Fairplay, Colorado
Day 16 of the 30 in 30 Days Challenge
Oil  11" x 14"
$295.00 + $10. s/h



When I was driving back to Fairplay to turn in my 2 framed paintings at the end of the day 2, I saw this rancher out on his tractor baling hay.  So, for the afternoon of day 3 I headed back towards his ranch hoping he'd be out again.  He was no longer baling, but some freshly baled hay was sitting right by the highway.  So, I pulled over and painted away...I did see him and asked if I could paint his hay bales.  He laughed and looked at me and said "You want to paint my hay bales?!!"  He couldn't believe it!  But was as nice as could be!


I think this would make another great painting, although there was no time for it 
to be plein air.


I got a comment from yesterday's post asking what a "loafing shed" was.  I should have included a photo of the front of that shed.  But...here's this rancher's loafing shed.  It's usually a long, narrow shed that has just the front open.  It's a great place for hay storage or animal protection over the winter.  A bit of a break from the elements.

3 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Love your hay bales!! A favorite subject of mine, too. You did a wonderful job! xoxo

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you Debbi. They are great to paint, Just have to be out there photoing and or painting at the perfect time!

Unknown said...

Hi Pam,
Thanks for the photo and the explanation of the loafing shed. Of course, now I realize that I've seen them before. I do like your bales of hay too.

I can just picture the farmer acting surprised when you asked him if he wouldn't mind you painting his hay bales. Something similar happened to me, only the lady looked at me like I had two heads when I asked if I could paint her long driveway. She allowed me, but when she was walking away she still thought I had two heads.