Monday, January 20, 2014

Vermont Barn - Composition and Value


Vermont Barn - Composition and Value

Day 20 in the 30 in 30 Days Challenge

I loved the Vermont Farm that I recently painted.  I felt that the composition and colors all worked.  Sometimes that happens and it's a great feeling.  So, I wanted to paint another Vermont farm or barn from our fall trip.  I looked back at the composition and value sketches that I'd done for that piece, (click here for that blog post) and the other three didn't jump out at me.  I went back to my photos and started looking at the close-ups that I'd taken of barns.  I wrote down the numbers of the ones that seemed like they could be good paintings.  Then went back through this list again, looking at and cropping and editing until I came up with four that I really liked.  That took way over an hour.  Those four became these sketches.  Sketching took over an hour.  Because drawing the angles, etc of the architecture matters, I used a grid for the sketches.  Now, I'll look at these for awhile and soon begin the painting.

No comments: