Saturday, January 11, 2014

Vermont Farm - Step 3

Vermont Farm - Step 3
Oil  20" x 20"

Day 11 of the 30 in 30 Days Challenge

After blocking in the values of the farm: the barns, houses and trees, I next put in the colors surrounding that mass.  While I tried to portray the values of the farm accurately, no color is true until seen next to the color beside it.  So, had I painted the farm first, I would have probably had to make color changes.  I still might have to.  But, by putting the colors in all around the farm it will help me when putting down the color notes.

I've left the front empty for the moment.  In the photo there's a road in the front.  In my preliminary sketch I drew the lines for corn stalks as if to continue the field.  But when I got the darker under green down, I wondered how it would look if I painted that as a fallow field.  So, I'll think about that for a bit and then decide.


5 comments:

carol edan said...

Love seeing the evolution of this series... thanks for all the steps in the previous days....

hmuxo said...

This is going to be beautiful when finished, Pam! I love seeing the progression of a painting ..

weekend et coup de brosse said...

Très belle toile!

Regula Scheifele said...

It is always so interesting and helpful to see the development of a painting and the artist's process. Thanks for letting us peek over your shoulder!

Pam Holnback said...

Thank you everyone! I, too, love seeing the steps of other artists. So glad you're all enjoying these!